The American Association for Justice (AAJ®) is seeking an Associate Director of Federal Relations for its Public Affairs department. AAJ works to protect and enhance the rights of workers, consumers, and survivors by ensuring an individual’s right to seek justice through the civil courts. We believe that holding corporations accountable is critically important to our democracy. We are a mission driven and high-energy team.
The Associate Director of Federal Relations monitors and analyzes emerging administrative, regulatory, and legislative actions on civil justice issues. The Associate Director of Federal Relations performs a myriad of duties including the following:
• Legislative advocacy on issues affecting individuals’ access to justice, including:
• Assisting with regular communication with the policy makers.
• Working with allied groups on shared policy goals.
• Drafting advocacy materials, such as one-pagers and fact sheets, and testimony to promote policy goals.
• Drafting regulatory comments and letters in response to rulemaking.
• Attend political events and fundraisers.
• Conduct in-depth legislative and policy research.
• Draft legislative materials, advocacy materials, regulatory comments, policy/issue white papers and background memos.
• Partner with team members on regulatory advocacy and analyzing the impact of proposed regulations on AAJ membership.
• Analyze and assess legislation to evaluate civil justice implications.
• Monitor the daily progress of legislation affecting access to the courts.
• JD degree and Bar membership.
• Must have a combined minimum of 6 years’ working experience on a government relations team at a trade association, lobbying firm, law firm, and/or working on Capitol Hill. This includes a minimum of 1 year of legislative experience.
• Must be (or become) a registered Federal lobbyist.
• Exceptionally detail-oriented and organized.
• Excellent writing and communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and in teams.
• Ability to travel to assigned events throughout the work week.
• Commitment to civil justice.
*AAJ is currently working a hybrid schedule.
**The American Association for Justice (AAJ) requires all employees to show proof of COVID-19 vaccination. AAJ will allow for exceptions to COVID-19 vaccination based on a medical exemption, disability accommodation, or religious objection; pregnant individuals may also request a deferral if they wish for the duration of the pregnancy.
Unvaccinated staff with approved exemptions or accommodations will be required to comply with weekly testing and to follow CDC guidelines for unvaccinated individuals, which may include wearing a mask at all times.
AAJ offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits. AAJ is an Equal Opportunity Employer. No phone calls please.
The American Association for Justice (AAJ®) promotes justice and fairness for injured persons, safeguards victims' rights—particularly the right to trial by jury—and strengthens the civil justice system through education and disclosure of information critical to public health and safety. With members worldwide, and a network of U.S. and Canadian affiliates involved in diverse areas of trial advocacy, AAJ provides lawyers with the information and professional assistance needed to serve clients successfully and protect the democratic values inherent in the civil justice system.